The Hasham family has generously created a new scholarship program for CMHA Peel Dufferin clients and their families.
Five $1000 scholarships will be awarded. Students of any age with lived experience of mental health and addictions issues are invited to submit an application and essay responding the following:
Describe your approach to achieving good mental health.
Feel free to describe how mental illness or addiction has affected you or someone you love, or to discuss how pursuing education may be an important step for you.
The Hasham family’s hope is that these scholarships empower and aid clients and their family members to access higher education and to participate in the life of the community.
These scholarships are open to all CMHA Peel Dufferin clients and their family members.
Focus: Open to all areas of study
Level: Post Secondary – Undergraduate
Opens: July 17, 2017
Deadline: August 6, 2017
Award: 5 Scholarships of $1000 each
Award recipients will be notified of selection on or about August 28, 2017. This scholarship is to be used exclusively for higher education tuition and related expenses. A check for $1,000 will be made payable to the award recipient to cover these expenses and they are expected to submit receipts in accordance with CRA regulations.
- Must be Canadian resident
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be a current or past CMHA Peel Dufferin client, or family member of a current or past CMHA Peel Dufferin client
- Must be currently enrolled or have been accepted to enroll in an accredited post-secondary institution in Canada in September 2017 (must provide proof of enrollment).
- Submit a completed Scholarship Application Form
- Submit a 500-800 word typed essay describing your approach to achieving good mental health. Feel free to describe how mental illness or addiction has affected you or someone you love, or to discuss how pursuing education may be an important step for you.
- Upon completion of the educational year/program the recipient will submit a final report to CMHA Peel Dufferin (including an official transcript indicating the courses taken) describing their accomplishments acheived with the scholarship and accounting for the funds received.
A committee selected by the Canadian Mental Health Association Peel Dufferin and the Hasham Family (or designates) will review applications and essays. The committee will select potential winners for each scholarship based the submitted essay. Essays will be scored based on relevance to the topic, originality, creativity and/or emotional impact.
CMHA Peel Dufferin supports the inclusion of vulnerable and marginalized individuals and preference will be given to students demonstrating financial need. At least one scholarship will be awarded to youth (under age 24), one to older-adults (over age 50) and one to a family member of a past or current CMHA Peel Dufferin client. Newcomers, refugees and individuals who are part of an indigenous community are highly encouraged to apply.
Please email your completed application form and essay to firstname.lastname@example.org.