CMHA Peel Dufferin offers free Brief Mental Health Counselling services. Our program follows a brief counselling model that offers an immediate opportunity for therapeutic conversation within 1-2 sessions. Our aim is to focus on your presenting needs and strengths and work hard with you to find solutions and leave with a plan.
The focus is on single session solutions that are intended to help clients identify their immediate needs. We recognize that there are times when an individual needs immediate support to face a specific challenge. When necessary, our counsellors can make recommendations for ongoing counselling supports.
Who could benefit?
Anyone age 16 years or older, presenting with symptoms of mental illness and emotional difficulties and who reside within the communities of the Central West LHIN.
Why Someone Might Choose the Brief Mental Health Counselling Program:
- Identify and understand your concerns and come to a better understanding of self
- Build coping skills to manage emotional stress
- Develop strategies to prepare/support readiness for long-term intensive counselling
It can be helpful to identify specific issues that you would like to address in session. Here are some of the issues that you might want support around:
- Troubles with sleep/energy levels
- Starting or finishing daily activities
- Overwhelming emotions/low mood/worried thoughts
- Thoughts of harming yourself
- Receiving information on treatment approaches or coping skills
- Being introduced to self-help resources appropriate for the issues they experience
What Brief Counselling is Not:
- It is not psychotherapy
- It is not crisis services
- It is not long-term services
How to Access Support
A person, concerned family member, and/or a service provider can contact CMHA Peel Dufferin’s Central Intake at 905-451-2123.
Translation services can be provided!
You can also walk-in for more information:
314 – 7700 Hurontario Street,
Brampton, ON, L6Y 4M3