As students and parents prepare for back-to school-season amid a global pandemic, CMHA Peel Dufferin is reminding everyone to keep mental health in mind during these unprecedented times. Students and parents are facing new challenges this school year due to COVID-19. Whether students take classes online or in class, the pressures remain the same.
CMHA suggests maintaining positive mental health with the following strategies:
- Take care of your body. Mental and physical health are fundamentally linked. Make sure to get enough sleep, drink water, and eat well.
- Build resiliency. Set aside time to think about the resiliency tools available to you, such as structured problem-solving skills or people who can help you during difficult situations.
- Reach out for support. Social support is an important part of mental health. People in our networks can offer emotional support, practical help, and alternate points of view. Contact CMHA Peel Dufferin for mental health support in your community. For mental health and addiction services call 905-451-2123 or 1-877-451-2123. Those experiencing a mental health crisis can call 24.7 Crisis Support Peel at 905-278-9036 or 1-888-811-2222 (Caledon & Dufferin).
Mental health supports for everyone, including children and youth, are also available. Here are a few organizations to consider:
- BounceBack: ca
A free, guided self-help program that’s effective in helping people aged 15 and up who are experiencing mild-to-moderate anxiety or depression, or may be feeling low, stressed, worried, irritable or angry.
- Centre for Innovation in Campus Mental Health (CICMH): ca (CICMH has compiled an orientation package of campus mental health resources available across the province. Resources include Loss and Grief During the COVID-19 Pandemic and the Graduate Student Mental Health Toolkit.)
- Children’s Mental Health Ontario Centres: cmho.org/find-help/find-a-centre
100 member organizations operating in every region in Ontario, providing treatment and support to children, youth, and families. Free. No referral required.