WE ARE COMMITTED TO PROTECTING THE CONFIDENTIALITY & PRIVACY OF YOUR PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION (PHI).
CMHA Peel Dufferin maintains privacy in compliance with the Personal Health Information Protection Act 2004 (PHIPA), which establishes rules for the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Health Information (written as ‘PHI’ in the remainder of this document) about individuals. As an individual who receives services at any of the CMHA Peel Dufferin sites, your (PHI) is collected and used in order to provide health care to you that suits your individual needs.
CMHA Peel Dufferin staff works as part of a team within the agency and in the community. Personal Health Information may be shared with other health care service providers who need the information to provide care to you; including your family physician. Your PHI may also be shared with third parties that are not health care providers, which may require your express consent.
The following PHI may be collected from you, your family members, other health care service providers and provincial electronic healthcare record systems such as Connecting Ontario, Integrated Assessment Record (IAR) Digital Health Drug Repository (DHDR), which forms part of your health record:
- Demographics (e.g. Date of birth, address, email, telephone number, etc.)
- Health history and status (e.g. lab reports, medication information, diagnosis, doctors notes)
- Mental health history and status (e.g. psychiatric reports, needs assessments, forensic reports)
- Personal history
- Family history
WE USE OR DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION FOR THE PURPOSE TO:
- Provide healthcare programs and/or services to you
- Seek your consent where appropriate
- Assist other health care providers providing services to you
- Compile statistics, plan, evaluate and monitor our programs and services
- Manage risk and error & maintain or improve the quality of care
- Process, monitor, verify and reimburse claims for payment
- Train CMHA Peel Dufferin’s staff and/or representatives to provide health care
- Train staff and/or representatives to provide health care
- Conduct research which is subject to certain rules
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements (e.g. College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers)
- Respond to or initiate proceedings
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law
WITH YOUR CONSENT OR AS PERMITTED OR REQUIRED BY LAW, WE MAY SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH:
Other health care services who provide care to you
- Research institute and/or external research
- Health regulatory agencies (for example, agencies that collect and analyze assessment)
- Public authorities as permitted and required by law (for example, Public Health to track infections)
- Government agencies (for example, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board)
- Other Community Services (for example Children’s Aid Society, Education Institutions, Police, Ontario Disability Program, Ontario Works)
- Organizations requested by you
YOUR PHI IS SHARED IN A CENTRALIZED ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORD SYSTEMS
Having your health information in electronic health record systems allows your health care providers to quickly and securely access your health history, no matter where you receive care. The centralized electronic systems are used to share your PHI with health service providers including Hospital and your Doctor, in order to provide you with better care.
WE RESPECT YOUR RIGHT TO:
- Give, withhold, withdraw, and reinstate consent for the collection,
use and disclosure of your PHI;
- Access your PHI, for viewing or to make a copy
- Request correction to your PHI
- Inquire or complain about CMHA Peel Dufferin’s privacy practices
- Be told if your PHI is stolen, lost or improperly accessed
WITHOLDING YOUR CONSENT
If you wish to withhold your consent to the sharing of your assessments in the electronic shared systems, or if you have concerns regarding the privacy and security of your PHI, please speak with your worker.
If you have any questions please contact CMHA Peel Dufferin’s staff for privacy related issues or contact
CMHA Peel Dufferin’s Privacy Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-451-2123.
Further questions and concerns can be directed to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario at: