What is the Peel Outreach Program?
Peel Outreach Services offers a continuum of Housing Support that seeks to end homelessness in the Peel Region and increase access to mainstream services. This multi-agency collaboration consists of the Region of Peel, Peel Addiction Assessment and Referral Centre (PAARC), Services and Housing in the Province (SHIP), and Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Peel Dufferin. Street Outreach can help get people experiencing homelessness out of the cold and on to a path to long-term housing. The program is funded by the Region of Peel and run by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA).
The Street Outreach team consists of both a 24/7 Street Helpline and mobile outreach teams that provide on-location supports including:
- access to shelter
- COVID-19 prevention services
- certain medical services and urgent supplies (e.g. food, clothes, and blankets)
- connection to other supportive programs, including mental health, addiction, and employment services
Who can benefit?
Individuals, 16 years and over, and families who reside in Peel Region and are homeless, transient or at imminent risk of homelessness.
What are the major benefits?
- A range of supports for individuals/families with addiction, mental health, and other concerns related to homelessness.
- Access to nursing care through our clinics.
- Street-based outreach assistance to engage individuals/families towards obtaining and/or stabilizing housing.
- “No wrong door” approach for individuals/families seeking services.
Services now include:
- 24/7 support via the Street Helpline number at 1-877-848-8481
- Two mobile vans with outreach teams delivering on-location supports
- A mobile health clinic providing on-location nursing care, COVID-19 supports, flu vaccinations (seasonally), and virtual consultations with medical practitioners weekly at Brampton Library, Celebration Square (Mississauga), Knights Table (Brampton), Peel Family Shelter (Mississauga) and Cawthra Shelter (Mississauga). Phone the Street Helpline to find out days for each location as locations are subject to change.
- Extended Street Outreach hours daily from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
The Street Helpline also supports residents who are concerned about others. Residents can call 1-877-848-8481 if they are worried someone is in urgent need of homelessness supports.
How to reach us?