You are currently on the:CMHA National
Visit our provincial websites
Sweedian Robinson Memorial Scholarship – Application Now Open
Feb 6, 2024
The Sweedian Robinson Memorial Scholarship will support CMHA Peel Dufferin staff, clients or members of the broader Peel and Dufferin community to pursue training or education that supports the development of peers within the mental health system.
Sweedian dedicated her life to helping others struggling with their mental health. First as a Peer Worker, and later as a member of CMHA Peel Dufferin’s Mobile 24/7 Crisis Support program. Sweedian’s compassion, professionalism, and first-hand experience with the mental health system made her an asset to both her clients and colleagues. When Sweedian passed away, her family, in partnership with CMHA Peel Dufferin, established the scholarship to continue the peer-based mental health work that she was so passionate about during her life.
The Mental Health Commission of Canada promotes peer support as a core contributor to the recovery process and recommends increased opportunities for peer support throughout the mental health system. Peer supporters provide emotional, social, and practical support to others who share common lived experiences. Peer training or education in the social services can enhance these skills and allow peer supporters to contribute to formal or professional peer settings. For more information on “what is peer supporter”, check out these resources:
Who is eligible?
- CMHA Peel Dufferin staff, clients; anyone who lives in the CMHA Peel Dufferin service area
- Have lived experience with mental health challenges and/or addictions, on a path to recovery
- Seeking training or education that allows peer supporters to contribute to formal or professional peer settings
- Priority may be given to youth and those who identify as part of a racialized community
How much is the scholarship?
- Up to $1000 towards a degree, diploma or certification(exact amount will depend on the number of awards being given)
- Applications will be accepted January 22-March 31 and reviewed for approval in April.
To learn more about the application and whether it is applicable to you, please join our info session Feb 7th, 2024, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm, virtually or in person at Recovery West Career Centre (601-7700 Huronatrio St, Brampton. For more information about the Info Session, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To donate to the Sweedian Robinson Memorial Scholarship Fund, please find more information here or contact email@example.com.